What an interesting week this proved to be. The Athletics made a huge splash this past week with their signing of Cuban star outfielder Yoenis Cespedes with a four-year deal worth around $36 million. Many people around baseball were shocked when the rebuilding A’s came out on top for the Cuban outfielder’s services, but Billy Beane and the rest of Oakland’s front office seemingly like surprising people.
At $36 million, Cespedes is hardly cheap, especially for the notoriously cheap Athletics. It’s because of this costly price tag that the general consensus is that Cespedes will start the year with Oakland and not in Sacramento. The A’s have certainly taken a risk with this big signing, but you don’t get anywhere in this business without taking a few risks.
As you may have imagined, the past week gave us a lot to talk about here on Swingin’ A’s. We hope that you’ll take a moment or two to revisit some of the top stories from the past week. Enjoy!
- 2/12/12: Manny Ramirez and a World Of Possibilities (Jason)
- 2/12/12: What Is In a Projection-Part 1-Hitters (David)
- 2/13/12: A’s Sign Cuban Star Yoenis Cespedes (Joseph)
- 2/14/12: Grading The A’s Offseason (Joseph)
- 2/16/12: A’s 2012 Top 10 Prospects, #8: Michael Taylor (Joseph)
- 2/16/12: A’s 2012 Top 10 Prospects, #7: Chris Carter (Joseph)
- 2/17/12: Pitchers and Pythags (David)
- 2/17/12: Triple Play: Chris Carter’s Fate In 2012 (Jason)
- 2/17/12: Crystal Ball: Will The A’s Move To San Jose? (Joseph)